No matter what one’s age, when love is lost it can create overwhelming sadness and extreme stress. The University of Georgia Health Center has even devoted a page to Ending a Relationship.
There is no good way to say, “It’s over.” As trivial as it may sound, sometimes it takes a good quote, a mantra, a sad song, lots of tears, and of course, time. While it is difficult to see the positive side of a break-up, in fact, researcher Gary W. Lewandowski Jr., Department of Psychology, Monmouth University, found “that positive emotions can occur following break-up, particularly when the previous relationship did not expand the self, and when personal growth occurred after the break-up.”
Despite these findings published in the Journal of Positive Psychology, initially, a break-up hurts. For those who thought that they had been touched by the same star, it can be devasting enough to seek professional help, which may be a solution.
Here are some quotes and some thoughts on a relationship’s end.
Letting go of love
- Giving up doesn’t always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go. ~Author Unknown
- Let no one who loves be unhappy. . . even love unreturned has its rainbow. ~James Matthew Barrie
- Sadness flies away on the wings of time. ~Jean de La Fontaine
- Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart. ~Washington Irving.
- Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay
- It is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all. ~Alfred Lord Tennyson.
- True love doesn’t have a happy ending, because true love never ends. Letting go is one way of saying, “I love you.” ~Unknown
- What is the opposite of two? A lonely me, a lonely you. ~Richard Wilbur